Shrimp and Grits are one of my family favorites, but there are a few ingredients that don’t exactly make it “healthy eating friendly”. My original recipe includes bacon, butter, real grits, and cheese. In my opinion almost any home cooked meal is going to be better for you than a heavily processed fast food meal, but there are ways to enjoy favorite comfort food without expanding your waistline.
Shrimp Topping: 1 12 oz bag of shrimp, 1/2 diced onion and red and green bell peppers, 1/2 cup dice tomatoes, 1/4 cup chicken broth, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, 1 tbs. EVOO, 1 link smoked turkey sausage
“grits”: 1 cup cauliflower, 2 tablespoons vegan butter, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup chicken stock, 1 heaping tablespoon nutritional yeast.
- Drizzle one tablespoon of EVOO in a hot pan.
- Add diced turkey sausage and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and peppers sauteed for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and seasoning lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While mixture is simmering cook frozen cauliflower in microwave according to package directions.
- Place the cauliflower, chicken stock, vegan butter, nutritional yeast, and seasonings in food processor and blend until smooth but still chunky.
- Once turkey sausage and vegetable mixture on stove has reduced add chicken stock and continue simmering 5 more minutes.
- Add shrimp to stove mixture and cook until shrimp turn pink.
- Add cauliflower grits to a bowl and top with shrimp mixture.