When I first went natural and did the big chop, I did finger coils often. I would actually spend time taking small sections of hair and coiling them around my fingers. Then a week or so later I’ll uncoil them for springy curls. Now I cannot fathom spending that much time on my hair. When I cut my hair last month I immediately searched youtube and pinterst for style ideas. I loved being able to wash and go but I wanted some options for when I wanted to get a little fancy. I was getting ready to start my first week back teaching from the summer and my fade was no longer fresh. I though “how can I have a nice style, without having to take time and money at the barber or hair dresser?” Luckily I stumbled across a video on how to do finger coils in a fraction of the time. Here’s what I did:
- Wash hair with sulfate free shampoo. Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo
- Condition and detangle hair. Aussie Moist Conditioner
- Deep condition for 30 min-1 hr. (Aussie Moist + EVOO + coconut milk)
- After rinsing apply a palm full of EVOO.
- Spray hair liberally with water
- Rub gel and curling cream into hair (eco-styler/ Cantu coconut curling cream)
- Brush hair in circles with a paddle brush (soft side) until coils form
- Continue to spray water as needed as use brush your hair.
This process was so simple and the deep conditioning left my hair so soft. After I wore the coils for a few days I uncoiled them for a crinkly curly look. I will do this probably every month in between cuts, when my fade grows out. What other styles do you do with your TWA?